The way your clothes fit and fall on your body is what matters more than your body weight. Hence, it becomes essential to understand your basic body shape, which will then help in knowing the types of clothes that will accentuate your good features and conceal or camouflage your body variations.
Wear a basic, conventional swimsuit or your basic lingerie. Stand in front of a full length mirror with your legs together and your arms lifted up sideways. Examine your shoulders, bust, waist, hips and thighs.
You are a Triangle body shape, if you:
- carry more weight on your hips and/or thighs?
- have narrower shoulders and smaller bust than hips?
You are a Rectangle body shape, if:
- you have a smaller bust.
- there is very little difference between your bust, waist and hips.
You are a Round body shape, if:
- you have fullness in the tummy area.
- your shoulder and bust are slightly smaller in proportion.
You are an Inverted body shape, if:
- you have wider shoulders than hips.
- you have a heavier bustline.
You are an Hourglass body shape, if
- you bust and hips are in line.
- you have a defined waistline.
Now that you know your bodyshape, your aim is to create an illusion of having a balanced body with:
- Shoulders and hips in line
- A defined bust and waist
Choose your clothing sensibly to come as close as possible to looking proportionate. While dressing, view yourself in whole. Do not focus specific problems such as the tummy, bigs,arms etc, which can distract you from taking the correct dressing decisions.