Beauty cannot be confirmed to standards….unconventional can be breathtaking! Indian attire like sarees, suits, lehenga’s are a boon for plus size women. These silhouettes are not only flattering but also can be used to maximum advantage to either hide or emphasise a body part.
While investing in ethnic wear, do keep the following tips in mind:
- Fabric: Opt for flowy and soft material like georegtte, chiffon, crepe, satin etc. Stay away from stiff & firm fabrics like cotton, organza, organdi, silk etc. as it adds bulk to your body.
- Design:Look for prints that compliment your body structure. Avoid wide borders in sharp color contrasts. Make sure the border color closely blends with the body of the saree.
- Blouse: V-neck, sweetheart and deep U necklines create an illusion of slimmer shoulders and an elongated neck. If you have a pear shaped body, you can opt for boat neck and slightly puffed sleeves for a more proportionate appearance.
- Pleats and Drapes: While draping the saree, avoid too many pleats on your waist as it will add bulk to your stomach. On the upper body, place the pallu on the shoulder without the pleats, as it will give you a slimmer look.
- Blouse: The blouse length should be kept longer with princess cuts or darts. 3/4 sleeves or full sleeves are the most flattering when combined with broader/bigger necklines.
- Lehenga skirt: Bell shape, mermaids or trumpet silhouettes are the most suitable for wide rectangle body shape. Flared A-line skirts draw attention to the waist and camouflage heavier bottoms. Hence it works best for pear body shape.
- Dupptta: Drape the dupptta in a way so that it helps in camouflaging your pitfalls. Wear it on one side to create an asymmetric illusion.
- Sillhouttes: A-line, angrakha, asymmetrical, princess cuts are the most flattering styles for plus size women. One should avoid wearing heavy anarkali suits as it adds unwanted bulk.
- Necklines: V-neck, scoop neck, U necklines are the best options.
- Fabrics: Fabric and fit is the key here. Choose flowy fabrics like crepe or chiffon and make sure the fit is nor too loose, nor too tight.
- Length: Tall women look great with long kurtis but shorter women should opt for short or knee length kurtis.