When you’re feeling blue and food seems to be the only comfort and solace that fixes your feeling, you may not be doing too great to your health and self. Remember, stress eating is not always the best eating. Why? Digestion is not at its optimum at the time, one, and two, most of the stress-eating is usually binge-eating, not the best food for us really. Moreover, it poses a big issue as stress-eating comes in the way of weight loss and owning that dream bod you always desired.
Here are 5 ways you can curb your enthusiasm with binge and stress-eating.
- SET A LIMIT. Always remember you’re in control. Set a small amount of whatever it is you want to eat, you needn’t deprive yourself this way and yet you know you are in complete control of what and how you eat. This can help you on a big extent to hold you back from any damage posed by stress-eating.
- STAY COMPLETELY PRESENT TO THE ACTION OF EATING. Stay mindful to eating. What this does is make you aware of how much your body really wants that food. The more aware you are, the more you’ll even start to notice when you are truly full. It is also important to eat when and only when, you are hungry. This exercise will also make you realise when you are truly hungry and when you are under stress – a faux hunger.
- MAKE A MENTAL NOTE AT THE END OF THE DAY OF YOUR DAILY CONSUMPTION OF FOOD. You may even keep a food journal if you wish. Writing down what you’re eating ensures that you start taking responsibility for what you put into your body. If you realize you’ve been taking part in hours of empty snacking, you’ll be more likely to cut back naturally. You will also start to want to add food that is truly nutritious to your daily diet.
- AVOID STOCKING YOUR HOME WITH JUNK FOOD. This will automatically keep you away from food that doesn’t work for you. When hungry its good to drink a glass of water. Most of the faux hunger pangs get dissolved this way. But if still hungry opt for fruits and fresh juices instead. You may even snack on health foods like oat cookies, peanuts, choosing alternate healthy options with ingredients that are infact good for you.
- BE HONEST TO YOURSELF. Remember you are doing this, only and only for yourself. Is there any point cheating? Think about it. It’s ok to binge once in a while. Again know, you’re in control – set a limit. Don’t deprive yourself yet know how much of what you are consuming and you should be just fine!
If you have any tips that helped you control stress-eating, you may share with us in the comments box below.